viernes, 11 de noviembre de 2016

BAPP Task 3a Current Networks

The task 3a of the Module 1 of the BA (Hons) in Professional Practice at the Middlesex University consists on looking inwards at our current networks, we need to write about the range and value of them reflecting on how I intend to further extend them, capitalising on my professional networks. And also we need to consider about the ethical concerns for networking in the workplace.

First, I would like to explain my current networks. At the moment due to I´m a member with the Latvian National Ballet, this is my everyday network, it includes not only the dancers, but also our coaches, pianists and also when we have performances, then this network it gets a lot bigger, including the people that work in the costumes department, as well as the make up artists, the technicians that prepares all the sets and also our orchestra that plays for every of our shows, plus also there are many other department that I don´t have the chance to see them everyday, like the opera singers or the choir but they are also part of this Latvian National Opera network (You can see part of it in the photo below), a network of almost one thousand people that together we perform and create Art.

Part of the Latvian National Opera & Ballet Staff Season 2015/2016

Moreover I have many other professionals networks, for example, as an Assistant of the Riga Choreography School I also work there once a week and it gives me the chance to meet new people related to the ballet world in Riga, as well I have my network for my International Solo Projects that includes Collaborators, Media Partners, Institutions and many other people that make every project a reality and finally I have also my Online Network through Social Media (Facebook Page, Twitter, Instagram Youtube and Google +), all together it makes a huge network of more than 60.000 people around the world (You can see an example of my twitter account in the photo below), such as directors, choreographers, artists, researchers, brands, followers or fans that allows me to develop my work in many places, not only in Riga and the places that I have lived and visited.

Official Twitter Account, November 2016

As you can see, I have already started to develop my own professional networks, because I believe it is essential to continue to develop your own work as wide as possible, it is the key that gives you the chances in the future. However I want to keep developing, and improving those networks to become a better artist and person, for example for my network both at the Latvian National Opera and the Riga Choreography School, I want to increase those by knowing more parts of the Latvian culture, not only ballet and dance but all sort of art forms collaborating with different institutions to create art to a wider audience. For my Solo Projects Networks, I want to keep increasing my collaborators and media partners in an international way, with a bigger network in America, not only in Europe as I have it now and finally for my Online Network through Social Media I want to increase it not only in number but also quality, being able to establish myself in every continent to be able to project my ideas and work through that.

In my opinion ethical concerns for networking in the workplace are a very important issue for every worker, especially because mostly people tend to mix the professional networks within the personal ones, and then it is when the problems start, therefore in my opinion those networks should be separated, it creates a much healthier environment for you and your networks if you do that. And also each one should take care of their own networks (personal & professional), for me “networks and relationships are like flowers you need to cultivate them, so they keep growing and being bigger and more beautiful and interesting every day”

Finally I would like to emphasis to everyone to take care of both your personal and professional networks as a I said in the last paragraph, relationship are essential for us as human beings, in my opinion, relationships are what makes humanity.


Gonzalo

6 comentarios:

  1. Thanks Gonzalo - yes Granger brought up the issue of retaining a good professional reputations - and that aligns with ethical practice - relationships could be an important aspect of a future inquiry.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks Paula for your advice with Granger Theories, I will read more about them and apply them for future inquiry in the essay.

      Eliminar
  2. Hi Gonzalo - I really enjoyed reading the difference between your network at The Latvian National Ballet and at the school. I'm sure that learning about the Latvian culture will be extremely interesting. I also completely agree that networks should be kept different between personal and professional!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Shanna, I´m glad you enjoyed reading this post, it is extremely interesting for me to get to know that many different cultures in depth, as a spaniard, born in Spain, lived in London for 3 years and now in Latvia for 2 years. And yes as you have read we agreed that the personal and professional networks, should be kept apart, for me it is essential!

      Eliminar
  3. Hi Gonzalo, I also agree with what you are saying about personal and professional networks being kept separate. I think that this can be quite hard though as obviously as we get to know our colleagues we become friends outside of work and then it becomes a challenge to see where the line is drawn.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Ann, sorry for the delay to answer your comments, I just reopened my blog to come back to start Module 2 last week. I think that for a professional career it is essential this separation between personal and professional relations, because as you grow as an artist to start to know more and people.

      Eliminar